Early Book Review: Stuffed: The Sandwich Cookie Book by Heather Mubarak

Stuffed: The Sandwich Cookie Book by Heather Mubarak is a cookbook that is currently scheduled for release on April 4 2023. This book features 65 mix-and-match cookie sandwiches for every occasion and craving, including both sweet and savory bakes that range from childhood classics with a twist (Nutter Butters! Chipwiches!) to sophisticated, party-ready treats (Strawberry Shortcake Macarons, Parmesan Polenta Crackers with Chive Cream Cheese). There is a chapter dedicated to swirly buttercreams, smooth ganache, fruity jams, and more lets you experiment with different cookie-filling pairings to your heart's content. The option to leave out the filling altogether for a super simple bake is also at the baker's discretion. Home bakers of all levels will appreciate the flexible, choose-your-own-adventure format.

Stuffed: The Sandwich Cookie Book is a well written and organized cookbook with wonderful photographs of the featured cookies. I thought the introductory information about the ingredients and equipment was well done. Too often we more experienced bakers skip over this (sometimes myself included) but I thought the insights and information included here would be gook for bakers of all skill levels. I love that the author includes information about adjusting these recipes to be gluten free, and how to achieve the best possible bake. I also like that metric and imperial measurements are included- so regardless of a baker's personal preference there is no need to mess around with conversions. I liked the wide variety of cookies, and I liked the author's voice. I found the little introductions to be interesting and entertaining. This is exactly the book I needed right before Christmas baking started- to look over grand ideas only to end up making my tried and true recipes. There are several recipes here that I will attempt, and several more that I will use flavor combinations or technique from to help improve my baking results. In fact, this just might be a baking weekend so I can test some of these out.  I just do not have the freezer space for all of the ones I want to make.

No comments: