V is for Victory

V is for Victory. I like to honor the small victories, and have a bizarre tendency to ignore the big ones. I celebrate the victory of both children sleeping through the night with a nice cup of tea or coffee. The victory of them both being asleep by 8 with a dish of ice cream or other suitable treat for myself. I celebrate finishing one crochet project with starting another. I celebrate a successful garden or growing season with planning my next one, and enjoying the fruits of my labor. I try to revel in the little things, because even when the big stuff goes wrong the little victories can still persist. They can keep me going when the rest of the day has me wishing I could curl up in bed and hide.

However, the victories and occasions that other people seem to celebrate I just shrug over and move forward. When I get kudos for anything work, writing or singing related I generally just shrug it off. For as much as I want to do well, and want other people to enjoy or appreciate my hard work, I somehow also do not want to be the center of attention. I want people to think well of me, but in the long run I guess it is not all that important to me. I write, sing, etc because I love it and like to think I have something to share. I am glad that people read what I write, and hope that they like it. And while I want people to read my material, and greatly appreciate any income it brings, most of the time finishing and publishing something is often victory enough for me. I want to sing well when i perform, but more so because I want to do well for me than because I think that the audience will know if I flub something. I know very well that small mistakes, and even same huge ones, can go completely unrecognized in a music performance. When all else fails you can always claim that it was a new arrangement of the piece you were really doing. I am not sure if this makes me a better writer or performer, but I like to think that my love of what I am doing will reign victorious, rather than my lack of technical perfection.

What does it take for you to consider something a victory? How do you celebrate?

7 comments:

Theresa Wiza said...

Victory was one of the words I used in my V blog – like you, I tend to celebrate the small victories, including my own finished crocheted projects. Here's my V Blog: http://myheartblogstoyou.blogspot.com/2011/04/vitality-vivaciousness-and-victory.html

Anonymous said...

I think the practice of celebrating everyday victories contributes to having a happy life. Smart!

I’m A-Z Bloging, and my “V” post is right here.

Loki Morgan said...

I should start celebrating the small victories. I agree about getting the kid to bed and finishing an article! :)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Sharon,

I just found you on A-Z, and I really enjoyed reading your post. I do know what you are saying.

I take pretty pictures, but I take that for granted. I enjoy them as much as everybody else, but when people tell me that they like them, I think, but that was EASY, what I WANT to do is be a writer.

I celebrate victory over well done chores or completing a creative project; but graduating from college? Why wouldn't I finish school? Why were people so proud? That is just and example that popped into my head.

I wouldn't have even thought about any of that this morning if you hadn't written about it. Thanks.

Have a great week!

Kathy M.

Unknown said...

I celebrate the big and little victories, that is what keeps me going too.

Tracy Moore said...

Sharon, this is a really good post. I agree that the small everyday victories are so much more meaningful for some reason. Also like what you said about doing things because they bring you joy. That is so important!

SueH said...

Victories are still victories, regardless of their size! I used to call it a victory when I managed to keep my cool even when a customer would argue over a one-day fine on their overdue books!

Now, in the early days of 'early retirement', I'm learning to celebrate the almost daily victories of just sitting down and getting stuck into a good book instead of battling with housework....there's always tomorrow! ;-)

SueH