Early Book Review: Growing an Edible Landscape: How to Transform Your Outdoor Space into a Food Garden by Gary Pilarchik; Chiara D'Amore

 Growing an Edible Landscape: How to Transform Your Outdoor Space into a Food Garden by Gary Pilarchik; Chiara D'Amore is currently scheduled for release on November 28 2023.  Out with the lawn and in with the food! That’s the battle cry of millions of modern gardeners who are not only looking to reduce the amount of time and energy they have to spend tending a lawn, but they’re also looking to improve the lives of their family, friends, and neighbors by supplying them with fresh, homegrown foodConverting unused areas of the landscape into food gardens helps mitigate the effects of climate change, reduces food miles, improves food security, and allows us to be a better steward of our little slice of the planet. But how do you get started? Which plants do you choose? Is there a series of best practices to follow to successfully convert your yard into an edible oasis so that it’s not just high-yielding, but it’s also attractive? Growing an Edible Landscape is here to help answer all of these questions and many more.


Growing an Edible Landscape was exactly what I expected, and offered encouragement and good information. I loved that the fact that most of us cannot go out and do all of this right away- whether the restraints are time, money, both, or completely different obstacles. The point is made that this can be a gradual project, something that can be continuous and ongoing for as long as you would like. That really takes the mental pressure off when starting to plan your own yard's future. Especially since I am a very bad gardener- I have grand plans and get everything started, and then I have to admit that by mid summer my devotion to my gardens has waned. I like that there are a wide variety of plans and information to help just about every interested gardener take some steps into the edible landscape direction, with the understanding that it really can be a lot of work and to be realistic in your expectations and planning. There is a great deal of information in this book, and I think it is one that my just make it on my bookshelf for referring back to each year as I evaluate what I did the previous year and plan the next round of changes and plantings. 

No comments: