Book Review: My Tempting Highlander (Highland Hearts, #3) by Maeve Greyson

My Tempting Highlander is the third book in the Highland Hearts, series by Maeve Greyson. The first two books were My Highland Lover and My Highland Bride. I did not read the first, but quickly caught up with the series and enjoyed the read. I think readers that have read both previous books will get more out of each following book, but each book can be perfectly entering on its own.

Cursed to live forever with neither wife nor child, Ronan Sutherland has watched all he cherishes turn to dust more than once. For hundreds of years, he's been trapped behind the mists of Loch Ness, hoping to identify the one woman who is prophesied to break the spell. Now, at last, the fates have aligned, and he's being sent into the future to fetch her. After a single glimpse, Ronan knows he's been waiting all his life for this passionate woman. Unlike her time-traveling sisters, Mairi Sinclair is perfectly content to remain in the present. As a hospital nurse in Edinburgh, she cherishes the opportunity to put her gift of healing powers to good use. But everything changes the morning a mysterious wolf darts in front of her car. Touching the wounded creature's tawny coat, a tingle surges through her. Yet when she returns with aid, Mairi is shocked to find instead a man with broad shoulders and fire in his eyes—a man who tempts her to unleash the animal within.

My Tempting Highlander is a quick read with much more build up to the final happy ever after than I have been seeing lately. While I was amused at how quickly the 'untrusting' Mairi falls into bed with Ronan I was equally entertained by her other gullible or at least naive moments. Even though she is regularly requesting the whole truth, and not getting it, she does not seem to think things through and put the puzzle pieces together even when I though it pretty obvious. I was also a bit bothered by the fact that her distrust of others that is talked about quite a bit is never explained, and although once she feels lied to she is obviously more than a little angry she does not seem all that slow to actually move things forward. Ronan is an all around honorable guy, that just continually hedges around the truth in fear that he will lose his destined mate. Which strikes me as odd, because seeing how Mairi is from a magical family how shocked do you think she would really be if she knew the whole story? A love story with some really great moments, but that falls into the trap of the major issue being the main characters not having a few very serious discussions earlier in the game. Still a fun read, with plenty of humor, but not as good as I had hoped.


My Tempting Highlander is a good but not fantastic read. I liked the characters, but not always how they interacted. I laughed, I was frustrated, and I had some definite feels. So it was still worth a read, and would be the perfect pick for a rainy weekend.

No comments: