Early Book Review: My Highland Bride by Maeve Greyson

My Highland Bride is the second book in the Highland Hearts series by Maeve Greyson. This romance is currently scheduled for release on August 25 2015. I have not read the first book in the series, and while it might have made the acclimation to the premise and cast of characters easier, I felt like I could fully enjoy the story despite the lack.  Kenna Sinclair seems like just another pretty Kentucky girl. But she can also read minds, erase memories, and jump through time; a skill set that comes in handy when her matchmaking granny sends her back to thirteenth-century Scotland on the pretext of visiting her older sister. When she encounters the clan’s womanizing man-at-arms, a single electrifying touch makes Kenna see that playing hard to get will not be easy. Bewitched by the first lass who could ever resist him, Colum Garrison will do anything to prove his devotion, even ask for Kenna’s hand in marriage, and swear off his chosen form of recreation until their wedding night. The match might be perfect, but Colum's pride just might open the door to more trouble than either are prepared for.
My Highland Bride caught me interest quickly, but lost me for a bit in the middle. The love interest between Kenna and Colum was quick, and backed up by the Sinclair family's particular set of gifts. I enjoyed Colum's character, and development but after the initial introduction to Kenna (which I really liked and got my hopes up for a strong character) I found her to be less dynamic and interesting as the story went on. I did like that they did not go straight to a happy ending, and when the big conflict arose in the middle I was on board with it.I thought it was just the kick in the pants Colum needed to kick things into gear. However, In I think the conflict as a whole was more complicated and hard on Colum than it needed to be. If it had come together a little sooner, I would have felt a little more connection with the final resolution- but because of the additional problems I found myself impatient for the conclusion. I also found myself more interested in the characters I expect to star in the next book than with Kenna and Colum.


My Highland Bride was a decent story. There were parts that I really loved, but was disappointed in Kenna’s character over all and became impatient with the story. I will be reading the next book, because this one did make me very interested to see what happens with two of the secondary characters which I fully expect to be the main players in the near future.

No comments: