Book Review: Dragon Fall by Katie MacAlister

Dragon Fall is the first book in the Black Dragons series, which is the fourth sub series in the larger Dragon Sept series by Katie MacAlister. I have missed a few books along the way in the grand scheme of this series but feel like I was able to get back into the swing of things pretty quickly.
 
For Aoife Dakar, seeing is believing-and she's seen some extraordinary things. It's too bad no one else believes that she witnessed a supernatural murder at an outdoor fair. Before Aoife can really get settled after returning to the scene of the crime she encounters a wise-cracking demon dog and a naked man who can shift into a dragon and kiss like a god.  Kostya has no time for a human woman with endless questions, no matter how gorgeous or tempting she is. He must break the curse that has splintered the dragon clans before more of his kind die. But his powerful attraction to Aoife runs much deeper than the physical-and there may be more to her than even his sharp dragon eyes can see. To survive the coming battle for the fate of his race, he needs a mate of true heart and soul.

Dragon Fall is a great return to the world of McAlester’s worlds of dragons and magic. I missed a few books, so I do not know the details of the curse, except for how they are described and play out in this book. However, I felt like I caught up to speed quickly, particularly since Aoife needed to learn everything about the dragons and Jim (the demon dog) for the first time. I liked  Aoife’s nature and outlook on life, how she was able to stay so good natured after being institutionalized by her siblings is astounding to me. Kostya has been through so much as well, and the pair have great understanding and a strong connection because of their ordeals.  Figuring out just where they stand with each other, and with the magical community as a whole is full of choices and interesting encounters. However, do not think that the story is all doom and gloom because of their hard lives, the curse, and so on. There are plenty of laughs to be had. I really love how MacAlister makes me laugh on a regular basis through simply but effective moments in dialogue and situations.  


Dragon Fall reminds me of what had me eagerly reading the Aisling Grey books in the beginning of the Dragon Sept series. The characters are multi dimensional, quirky, and likable even when you want to kick them. The combination of action and humor is what made me a MacAlister fan to begin with, and that balance is in full effect here. 

No comments: