Book Review: The Notorious Lady Anne by Sharon Cullen


The Notorious Lady Anne by Sharon Cullen is a historical romance. Nicholas Addison is a captain returning to the sea for the first time since being injured. But, it is not just any journey. He is on a mission to discover the truth behind reports of pirate attacks. Mrs. Emmaline Sutherland is a widow that just happens to be a passenger on that journey. When the ship is attacked by pirates, Emmaline is revealed to be much more than she appears. She is the notorious pirate Lady Anne. The real story only begins with that revelation, as Emmaline and Nicholas need to face other dangers, their own emotions, and the obstacles between them and a future together.

I admit, I had high hopes for The Notorious Lady Anne. I love strong female characters, particularly those that defy convention. Emmaline, or Lady Anne, is a strong woman. She has faced many difficulties in her life, and has prospered. Nicholas is another well done character. He is a member of nobility, and a ship captain with honor. He is a good man, that accepts others for who they are, even if he does not agree with their ideas or choices. I do have to admit that at a certain point in the story I started getting impatient with the story, as more and more problems arose and the pair still had not sat down and simply discussed most of the obstacles, keeping their thoughts to themselves. While I was glad the book broke with the traditional pattern, I had a few moments of just wishing we could reach the happily ever after. This could certainly have been partially my eagerness to open up the next book on my reading list.

I recommend The Notorious Lady Anne to readers that like historical romance that involve pirates, adventure, strong characters, and unconventional women. This is not a quick read, but one that takes readers on romance with many layers and complications. The conclusion is satisfying, but you need to be patient in order to get there.

No comments: