Book Review: Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder


Scent of Magic is the second book in the Healer Series by Maria V. Snyder. I recommend reading the first book, Touch of Power, before picking this one up because of the detailed character and world building involved in the series. However, I adore Snyder and highly recommend reading all of her books regardless. Scent of Magic picks up shortly after Touch of Magic ends. Avry is the last living healer in the Fifteen Realms. Although, the fact that she is alive is a secret to the world, except from Kerrick who is a forest mage and her partner. They need to do everything the can to stop the evil King Tohon and his dead army from taking over the world. But, at the same time Avry needs to reconcile with her sister and prepare rival armies for the fight to come. Meanwhile Kerrick is off to the north to fight his own battles with tribesmen with fantastic fighting skills and their own ways of doing things. Will either of their missions be successful, and will they survive long enough to be reunited. Danger, betrayal, and political maneuvering make everything more challenging for our favorite characters.

Scent of Magic holds with the quality that I expect for Snyder. I am not going to talk about the specific action, because I do not want to ruin the fun for returning readers to the series, and do not want to give anything at all away to those that have not read Touch of Power. The world and struggles for power are detailed and described in a way that leaves me fully invested in the outcome. Avry, Kerrick, and the eclectic crew of characters are as interesting and entertaining as always, although often leaving me wishing for another spin off series so that I can get more of a fix on the lives and thoughts of other characters. The motivations, fears, and relationships between characters are so well described that readers can find themselves holding their breath at key moments hoping for a good outcome. My only disappointment with the book was a cliff hanger ending. I am chopping at the bit for the next installment, with high hopes for a happier resolution than I expect.

I highly recommend Scent of Magic to those that have read Touch of Power. I high.y recommend both books, and any that follow, to readers that have enjoyed other books by Snyder, Tamora Pierce, and other fantasy novels high on character and story and low of sexual situations. The series is a great pick for adults, teens, and even some mature tweens. There is some significant fighting, and the dead army might be disturbing for some.

No comments: