Angsty anbout Angst; A to Z Challenge

Angst can be a wonderful story element, or it can be the downfall of a story. Since so many of us feel some level of angst while writing, or forced to stop writing to do something silly like cook, it is no surprise that angst makes its way into so many plots. Angst can be necessary to get a character thinking, or moving, and hence it is important. However, I do not want to talk about angst gone right, because to fully understand how it should be used, we need to look at instances where it has gone wrong, and how to avoid falling into the same traps.

I think angst often gets over or misused in romance and young adult novels, because these are moments that require heavy angst levels, right? Wrong. Yes, unrequited love, the horrors of adolescence, and joys of schooling do cause high levels of stress. I know my teen years were far from my favorite. However, no one needs to read a book that is at least held half in one characters head as they over analyze and doubt everything about themselves. There are situations where heavy angst does work, but it is far too common to go over the invisible line in the sand that I have no map to.

How many times have you read a book and gotten so annoyed at one character's angst about how the love interest, appearance, weight, alignment of the stars, or other obsession will ruin their lives. It often makes me want to throw my book, or whatever I am reading a digital book on, across the room. One much beloved teen novel comes to mind, where one little miss spends the hole series mooning over a guy. (I will admit that I loved the whole series when I first read it, but after all the hype and looking back I just want to shake her and somehow unread the last book.) Angst should be a tool to motivate the characters. It can be used to get them thinking so that their thoughts are shared with the reader, but some action should follow the thoughts.

Stories about real women; women with curves, glasses, social status, or other assumed imperfection often run into the same issue. There is so much inner dialogue, or even external dialogue bemoaning the issue at hand that I just want to scream at them to do something about it. While there are some issues that hold no solution, there are still things they could do to improve their lives or at least their confidence. Again, I want to kick the characters and tell them to just get over it already and move on.

I have no magic bullet to fix this common issue. However, my rule of thumb is that if a conversation with a friend, sibling, coworker, or even your own internal dialogue followed the same path at that is laid out in the story makes you slap happy then there is too much angst.

And so ends my angsty rant about angst in fiction.

9 comments:

Francene Stanley said...

Haha. Slap happy about a book--that's a good one. You're right of course. Too much just makes you mad.

Nita said...

I'm a librarian-in-training, and I found your blog through the A to Z Challenge. Looking forward to more of your posts!

SharleneT said...

Hello, Fellow Challenger, from #424-Rockin'Chair Reflections! Feel the same, too much of the 'poor me' syndrome and I put the book down. Have fun.

Joe Richardson said...

There's a gulf between angst and action--and you need to cross it quickly.

I'm fine with a character feeling angsty about a situation.

For a scene.

After that, they darn well better act. I've little patience for people who sit and stew and do nothing to change their circumstances.

True in fiction, true in life.

A/American Road

Elizabeth Twist said...

I guess it depends on the audience. That beloved book series you mention...I got the feeling while reading what I suspect is the same series that if I were much younger, I would be ultra into the heroine's uber angst.

A-Z @ Elizabeth Twist

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Angst is a fantastic A word. Too much is such a turn off. I look forward to more from your blog. Welcome to the challenge, Sharon! Glad I discovered you here. I'm almost halfway through the blog hoppin' frenzy!

KarenG

Pearson Report said...

Hi Sharon - Great "A" post.
Angst is a funny thing because while I have been know to experience it I don't like reading about it, particularly when it's over played...like you, I then want to toss the book.

Welcome to the A-Z Challenge.
Jenny @ Pearson Report
Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

Debbie Henthorn said...

Angst - great post! I can't remember the exact point I got turned off of romance novels, but I distinctly remember getting tired of the "woe is me" formula. I enjoy strong female characters.

Stopping by on the A to Z Challenge from Debbie & Harry's Kitchen.

Unknown said...

Greetings! Great "A" post and I greatly enjoyed it! Can't wait to see what the month brings for you! Good luck this April!

Dusty