T is for Thank you

T is for thank you, something that everyone needs to hear. Some people do not say it often enough, and many more do not hear it enough. I try to make an extra effort to say thank you to everyone that has done something that deserves a thank you. I remember my days working retail, my days in food service, my times working as a secretary or administrative assistant that all came with more aggravation than thanks.So, I make an extra effort to be sure to thank anyone that helps me in any way. The Dunkin' Donuts worker that hands me the caffeine I need to be civil on a working Saturday, the Stop n Shop employee that does the inevitable audit at self check out when I am in a rush, the person that holds a door open for me. I've been on the other side, I know how rude and selfish people can be, so I try to counteract the stresses of the day with a smile and thank you.

A simple smile and thank you can have a larger effect than a whole day of negative comments. I would much rather be the person that says thank you and makes a positive impact than contribute to someone else's bad day. Remember that they have most likely been dealing with cranky people all day, that they are most likely not getting paid a who;e lot to deal with it, and want to go home to be with their families as much as you do.

Take the time as give a smile and thank you to your waiter, the person that rings you up next time you go shopping, the bagger that smashes your bread, the person that is just doing their job. If they do not give you service, then stop and think about what kind of the day might have been having before you got there. Smile and give a thank you anyway. Help make some one else's day much better with very little effort. A simple thank you can change their day for the better, which could led them to doing the same for someone else, and so on.

Thank you for reading :)

5 comments:

Jeff Beesler said...

Gratitude is an attitude that I hope doesn't die out as a result of instant gratification. So many people aren't thanking others for their valuable time and resources, it's shocking. Thanks for sharing this, and it's a pleasure to meet you via the A-Z Challenge!

nutschell said...

gratitude always goes a long way. I try to be thankful for the littlest things everyday.
Great meeting you through the A-Z!

nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

SuburbanWifeLife.com said...

I agree. I like to hear thank you from time to time. Good post.

I'm popping in for the a-z blogging challenge.
T is for Torani Sugar Free Irish Cream Syrup

Snakesmom said...

Saying thank you to someone is so simple and it means so much. :) Great post!

SueH said...

Having worked in a public library for eleven years I know the feeling of the 'thankyou'! (or the lack of it!)

Some customers were delighted with even the smallest of assistance, others would sour milk with one look regardless of the hours of help you gave!

Such is life!

However, having been on the receiving end of unpleasantness, I find myself going out of my way to show my gratitude to people who serve me in shops, etc. A smile costs nothing - yet means so much!
:-)

The A-Z challenge is winding down, but I'm still discovering new blogs. Nice to meet you - I'll be back!

SueH I refuse to go quietly!