AudioBook Review: Witches in the Kitchen by Danielle Garrett, Narrated by Amanda Ronconi

Witches in the Kitchen
 by Danielle Garrett, narrated by Amanda Ronconi, is the series starter for a paranormal series with a dash of romance. A picture-perfect seaside town filled with humans who don't know about their witchy neighbors. Up until a week ago, my only knowledge of magic came from the movies. Unfortunately, it didn't stay that way. A bout of insomnia leads to witnessing a scene that belongs in a vampire flick-only, the fangs looked way more realistic. One second, I was running for my life, and the next, I found myself choking on a hairball in the back of an SUV. That's right, a hairball. See, my body's been hiding a pretty big secret, and I'm some kind of witch. One that turns into a cat when under duress. Apparently, my choices are fight, flight, or fur. Overnight, I find myself thrust into a world of magic and mayhem beyond my most wild sleep-deprived delirium. Until the murderous vampire is captured, I'm placed into some kind of witch-ness protection program, and sent to live in a house full of actual monsters. What's the worst that could happen? Hey, at least running for my life will help me squeeze in my cardio.

Witches in the Kitchen is a series starter, but this is third series set in the same town, and I think the sixth in the same world. I have not read any of the previous books, and since Blair is new to the world of magic most of the big stuff was explained and I felt like I knew enough to still enjoy the read. However, I think returning readers will enjoy seeing characters from the prior series and get a kick out of some of the cameos. With this being a series starter, and so much needing to be explained to newcomers, I did feel like the pacing was a little slow, and honestly I kept expecting a character or two from the pre magic moments in the book to pop up and make an appearance in the magical half. I also rather expected a twist or two that did not happen, although there was one I did not expect.  I did like the fact that the romance did not overwhelm the mystery and other aspects of the book. I thought the premise and execution was well done and enjoyable enough that I think I will go back and start at the beginning of the first series and see if the first couple books make me happy. I think I would have enjoyed this book more with a little more of the background knowledge from the other books.  I found that Ronconi did a wonderful job with the narration, and the tones and inflections used brought Blair to life. 

Witches in the Kitchen is a fun read that nicely balances romance with mystery and magical world building. 

No comments: