Early Book Review: Squire & Knight by Scott Chantler

Squire & Knight by Scott Chantler is a middle grade graphic novel currently scheduled for release on May 9 2023. A young squire tackles mysteries, monsters and magic, but the inept knight he serves takes the credit. Every time. Squire is brainy, bookish, and terribly under-appreciated by the brawny, inept knight Sir Kelton, who somehow always gets all the glory. So when the two mismatched heroes find themselves in a cursed village plagued by a demonic dragon, Kelton rides off to slay it and Squire stays behind to catch up on some reading. But Squire starts to notice that something isn’t quite right about this town. Can he uncover its strange secrets?

Squire & Knight is a fun graphic novel that has fantasy, mystery, and character growth. I was glad to read in the author comments that the squire and knight in the story were inspired by T.H. White's 'Wart' and his brother from Sword in the Stone, because that was the vibe I got from the pair as I was reading. I enjoyed getting to follow the squire around as he explores the town and investigates what is happening and how the problems could be solve while the knight goes off ready to fight at a moment's notice. I thought the art and story were perfectly matched and I really liked the art style. I think this graphic novel will appeal to a wide range of readers, from elementary school age readers through adults. It is well balanced in the adventure and mystery, and I enjoyed every moment of the story, and think that others will as well. 

Squire & Knight is a well written and drawn story that had me entertained and engaged the entire read. I am looking forward to more.

No comments: