Book Review: The Woman in the Woods and Other North American Stories by Kate Ashwin, Kel McDonald, Alina Pete

The Woman in the Woods and Other North American Stories by Kate Ashwin, Kel McDonald, and Alina Pete is a graphic novel and the fifth volume of the “Cautionary Fables and Fairytales” anthology series. I have not seen the previous volumes, but I will be on the lookout for them.  Loup Garrou, trickster rabbits, and spirits with names that can’t be spoken — the plains and forests of North America are alive with characters like these, all waiting to meet you in this collection of folklore from tribes spanning the continent retold in comics.

The Woman in the Woods and Other North American Stories is a lovely collection of stories. I thought the artwork was a great pairing with the stories and did a wonderful job of telling the stories. I had heard or read a few legends that touched on the same ideas, but I had never seen these exact tales before, which always makes me happy. I thought that there was much respect and honor tied into the stories, which is not always the case in folklore or legend collections. I thought the variety of tales, and the skill they were told with were fantastic. My only complaint is that I wanted more, which I can partially solve by finding the other volumes of this series. 

No comments: