Early Book Review: The Doors to Nowhere (Secrets of Camp Whatever) by Chris

The Doors to Nowhere is the second volume of the Secrets of Camp Whatever graphic novel series by Chris Grine. It is currently scheduled for release on May 3 2022. I do recommend reading the series in order to have the full backstory and understand who and what the characters are.


When twelve-year-old Willow went to her weird new town's even weirder summer camp, she didn't expect to get caught up in an ancient mystery involving forest-dwelling vampires, living garden gnomes, and other completely bonkers creatures most people would never believe exist. Now she's not only involved, she's marked—too close to the heart of an ages-old quest for power and control than she should be, and too concerned about her new friends and the dangers they face to let them go it alone. With the help of a spell book and her scrappy crew of camp friends, Willow is about to step through a doorway to magic and discovery that will change her world forever.

The Doors to Nowhere is another well written and skillfully drawn graphic novel for the middle grade and older set. I liked the continuation of the story and how the characters continue to grow as individuals and as part of a friend group. I liked the art style and found the expressiveness of character faces to be on point throughout the book. I thought the reminders of past adventures was well done, reminding readers of important moments without covering too much of the same ground. My only complaint is that I wanted more. The story had a satisfying resolution, with plenty of foreshadowing for further adventures, but it just felt like it was over far to quickly so I went back and enjoyed some of my favorite moments again. I am eager to see where the story goes from here.

The Doors to Nowhere is a great follow up to the first installment, and I look forward to reading what happens next. 


No comments: