Book Review: Give up the Ghost (Phantoms) by Kelly Moran

Give up the Ghost is the second book in the Phantoms series by Kelly Moran. While you could get away without having read the first book before reading this one, the first book really does set this one up nicely.

Paranormal investigator Kerry Baker has seen it all. But nothing in her work with the Phantoms TV program prepares her for the most terrifying spirit of all—seeing her doppelganger. Rumored to be a foreshadowing of one's death, the specter shakes Kerry to the core, sending her into the arms of her best friend and fellow cast member for comfort. Except their contract with the show strictly forbids crossing that line, so not only is her life at risk, but so is her job. Paul Leake has been in love with Kerry for ages, yet unwilling to compromise their friendship. As their investigation in an isolated Arizona ghost town grows more intense, however, so does the chemistry between them. The mysterious hauntings and chronic on-set accidents at their location are wreaking havoc with the crew. With her life in danger and their careers on the line, giving into their attraction couldn't be a worse idea—and yet they can't bring themselves to stop. Even if it kills her.


As soon as I finished Ghost of a Promise I knew I wanted to see how things played out between Kerry and Paul in Give up the Ghost. The haunting and spooky aspects did not disappoint. I liked the setting and the various levels of angst from the ghosts, and how the team worked to handle all of it with the worry of the doppelganger looming. I would have liked to see some more resolution on a couple ghostly points, but it was nothing major or that ruined the read for me. I did enjoy the character development and growth as Paul and Kerry figure things out and deal with some of their issues.I did feel like there was significantly more sexy time in this book than in the last, but I could be wrong. I did like that Kerry and Paul had so much friendship and background with each other, so there was much less wondering what the other might be thinking, since they knew each other so well. As a whole I really enjoyed the read, but think it fell a little short of my expectations and this first book in the series. It is still worth the read, but it did not wow me like I had hoped it would.

Give up the Ghost is a good follow up to the first book, and a good book on its own. It just did not live up to my high hopes for it. 


No comments: