Book Review: Weekend Girl by Alex Powell


Weekend Girl 
by Alex Powell is a contemporary romance. Ashley Kingston is a gender fluid university student with a major crush on attractive and charming Nolan. He seems just too perfect to be true. What happens when Ash meets Nolan while dressed as both a man, and a woman? And even more confusing, what happens when Nolan seems enamored of both versions of Ash? A twisty-turny romance filled with fun and shenanigans.

Weekend Girl is a book that entertained, while also leaving me wanting more from the whole friend group. I really enjoyed getting to know Ash, and going along with them on their journey of self discovery and realization. I could relate to their anxiety and avoidance, and it was great to get a personal understanding of how one person experienced being genderfluid- since like most everything each individual's path is unique. I thought t was very well written, giving me a better understanding of how some individuals feel and what they experience without ever feeling performative- which sometimes happens. I liked the group of friends here, and the amount of support they offer each other, even when they are not necessarily getting along. There were so many times that I thought something big and bad was about to happen, but was thrilled with the reality and the solutions that Ash and Nolan discuss and work out together.  The only thing that I wanted but did not get from this book was some of the story from Nolan's perceptive. There were several moments when how he felt was pivotal, and I thought I knew but would have loved confirmation. 

Weekend Girl is an engaging read that had me rooting for Ash, and feeling some significant sympathy anxiety. 


No comments: