Book Review: Hooky by Míriam Bonastre Tur

Hooky by Míriam Bonastre Tur is a graphic novel, based on a webcomic originally found on the WEBTOON platform. Hooky is in print format for the first time with exclusive new content.

Twin siblings Dani and Dorian who have missed the bus to magic school and scramble to find a mentor to teach them before their parents find out. They never thought they'd wind up declared traitors to their own kind! Now, thanks to a series of mishaps, they are being chased by powerful magic families seeking the prophesied King of Witches and royals searching for missing princes. But they aren't alone. With a local troublemaker, a princess, and a teacher who can see the future on their side, they might just be able to clear their names, but can they heal their torn kingdom? 

Hooky is the start of a graphic novel series full of magic, suspense, and complex characters. I had not read the Webtoon version, so the whole story was a surprise for me. I liked getting to know the characters and their increasingly complicated friendships and connections. The dynamic between the witches and non magical people is not unexpected, and the intrigue and politics of it all feels very realistic, and the unfairness of it all seems on point with human nature- even when we wish is was not so common. I thought the story moved quickly in some moments, and a little slower in others, but it flowed nicely. I thought the art was well done and does a great job of capturing the mood of the story, and the details of the character's emotions and intent. As a who;e I was fully engaged in the read and enjoyed it. My only complaint is a common one, that the book ended with a solid set up for many possibilities but very little in wrap up or conclusion. I know there is more coming, but I need some more satisfaction at the end of a volume to make me really happy. That being said, I am still very interested in continuing on with this series.

Hooky is a great start to a series, and I think middle grade and older readers will enjoy it. 

No comments: