Early Book Review: Saved by the Spell (House of Magic) by Susanna Shore

Saved by the Spell is the second book in the House of Magic series by Susanna Shore and is currently scheduled for release on August 15 2021. I do recommend reading the series in order, but the author does a good job of giving newcomers a good understanding of past events and relationships. 

Magic and I hadn’t exactly had a good start, but thanks to a spell that made me repulsive to men, I was seriously considering becoming a witch hunter. A chance encounter with a charming stranger makes Phoebe dream of a happily-ever-after, until she learns that there’s a spell on her that makes her repulsive to men. Luckily her boss, Archibald Kane, and her new landladies are experts on magic. Only this one seems to confound them all. Who has spelled her and why? Is it a challenge on Kane’s leadership of the mages? Or is there a more sinister game afoot? Phoebe doesn’t mind the space men give her in the Tube, but her cousin’s engagement party is coming up. How is she to celebrate, if she makes half the guests nauseated? And how is she to charm the man of her dreams when she suspects he’s part of the problem? It might take the Archmage to break the spell—if only they could find him. A spell may be needed to save them both.

Saved by the Spell is a nice follow up to the first book in the series. I was glad to see more character development and growth, and the relationships between the group become deeper and more interesting. I liked the story premise, and think there were a lot of great ideas. However, I admit that I found myself wanting to throttle Phoebe on several occasions because I though many things were obvious early on. Clear clues and signs were ignored at several key moments, or information that was relevant simply not mentioned so many times that I was very frustrated. I did enjoy the ride, and thought the wrap up was very well done. I liked the read, but despite my enjoyment of the characters I think I am going to have to leave the series here. The mystery aspects seem to cause me more frustration than joy, but I have read so much of this sub genre that it just might be my anticipation of the solution rather than any fault in the story that is just making it not click for me.  

Saved by the Spell is a good story with interesting characters.

No comments: