Book Review: Chéri, My Destiny! by Okoge Mochino

Chéri, My Destiny! by Okoge Mochino is a manga style graphic novel. Kaoru is brimming with confidence. After all, he opened a patisserie after studying in France, and is the head chef of his own store. But there’s one small problem; his customers are enamored with a local Japanese sweet shop and Soujirou, the attractive and reserved craftsman who makes the treats on offer. Convinced that stuffy old Japanese confections could never compete with his modern, Western style creations, he decides the only way forward is to prove to Soujirou that his chocolates are the best. But when Soujirou accepts his gift gracefully and even compliments him on his skills, Kaoru’s intense feelings take a sudden turn in the opposite direction.

Chéri, My Destiny! is a cute romance between two confection makers. I have always been a fan of the grumpy hero, and I got that here. I liked getting to see Kaoru and Soujitou get to know each other and start their relationship. I think the art was well done, and the style matched the story and offered details and emotion. I did think the ending was a little off. I liked that it surprised me a little, but thought a conversation or something added to the end would have wrapped things up a little better and felt more satisfying. I did like the little day in the life bonuses at the end, but they could have been before the ending and still fit quite well into the story and the book. Please be aware, there is some on page sex. Just so no one is caught by surprise reading in public.

Chéri, My Destiny! is a cute, fun, and enjoyable read.


No comments: