Early Book Review: Hack Your Kitchen: Discover a World of Food Fun with Science Buddies by Niki Ahrens

Hack Your Kitchen: Discover a World of Food Fun with Science Buddies by Niki Ahrens is a children's nonfiction book currently scheduled for release on February 2 2021. Young scientists will learn all about many different scientific principles and properties using everyday tools and ingredients from their own kitchens! Make a lemon volcano, flour craters, edible paper, and more with these hands-on science projects.
Hack Your Kitchen is a well written and organized book. I liked that the items needed for the experiments, and the note that parental supervision or actions for certain things might be important right in the beginning of the book- so there are no surprises of that nature in the midst of picking a project. Equally important, at the end of the book a reminder to leave the kitchen as you found it, and resources for further reading and experimentation are included. The experiments are short and simple, with good pictures and clear instructions. I like that many resulted in edible results, like the slushy, ice cream, and meringue. I also like that the tools and ingredients for each activity are in most homes, or easily found if not currently in the pantry or junk drawer. I think the book is easy to read and follow, accessible to kids and  their adults that might be helping or supervising. I think this book could be helpful for keeping kids engaged and learning while so many are deep into home school or remote learning- and might need a little something extra to stay invested or engaged. I think some teachers and/or parents could use it for inspiration. In fact, I think my kids and I might be giving the baked ice cream a go sooner rather than later.

No comments: