Early Book Review: Captive of Wolves (Bound to the Fae) by Eva Chase

Captive of Wolves is the first book in the Bound to the Fae series by Eva Chase. It is currently scheduled for release on December 9 2020. 

For years, the monsters who killed my family have held me in a cage. Brutalized and half-starved. Only kept alive so they can steal my blood. Until one evening when four eerily gorgeous men break me out of my prison. They give me a soft bed and delicious food. They say they'll protect me—but their generosity may come at a price. My rescuers are monsters like my captors: fae who shift into wolves. A curse gripping the faerie realm turns them wild under the full moon. Only my blood can cure their rage. These fearsome men need me, and not just to lift the curse. A tragedy left them outcasts, and offering me to their rulers could win them back the home and the power they lost.
No matter how kindly they treat me, no matter how their smoldering eyes and strong hands stir unfamiliar desires in both my body and my heart, their castle is just another prison. As long as I'm a prize more than a person, my life will never be my own. I've survived this long without giving up. I won't roll over now. But how can one damaged human girl hold her own against the savage fae?

Captive of Wolves is a book that had a rough start for me. In the beginning I thought I might have read something very similar before (and I have) and was left wondering if this series was part of a larger series. I do believe I have read something else by the author, and they have enough of a back catalog that both aspects are possible, but it also reminds me a little of a series by Sadie Moss, different set up and very different details, but the same kind of story. The characters seem to be slowly developed, with the guys especially slow to unwind. While I liked Talia's determination and empathy I have to admit that she had more than one 'too stupid to live' moments that just had me shaking my head and closing the book for a moment to get past it. The character, world, and relationship building was well thought out, but very much slow burn and build up. I did like the story, and think the author did a good job of setting up the story. However, it felt a little too slow and like the guy's emotions and past were much less developed than Talia's. That combined with the familiar feeling of the story made it less exciting to me. I did like that we got several points of view, that helped develop the guy's a little more for me. I think this book will be a near perfect read for some, but it just did not hit that sweet spot for me.

Captive of Wolves is a decent start to a series, with a paranormal and reverse harem leaning, I think it will hit the spot for fans of the genre but will miss the mark for others.

No comments: