Book Review: Spellbound by Jean Copeland and Jackie D

Spellbound by Jean Copeland and Jackie D was released on January 14 2020. Hazel Abbot spent her whole life unaware she was a witch. When a spell thrusts her great-aunt Sarah Hutchinson forward from the Salem witch trials of 1692 and lands her in Hazel’s bookstore, everything Hazel thought she knew about herself changes. Complicating matters, Raven Dare, a supernatural hunter, informs her that they’ve all been summoned by the Queen Witch, Morgan le Fay. Morgan compels Hazel, Sarah, and Raven to correct the shift in the realms of good and evil by ridding the world of the evil that followed Sarah into modern day. If they fail, the forces of white magic will be extinguished forever. But completing the perilous mission, convincing Sarah to return to Puritan life, and resisting their growing attraction for each other might prove more difficult than Hazel and Raven ever anticipated.
Spellbound is a book that I wanted to love. I thought the premise was great and some of the character and world building caught and kept my attention. I liked Hazel's story, and Raven's. I would love to read more about their adventures (before and after this story). I thought the use of Morgan's character ad the ties of multiple mythologies and legends. I would enjoy more stories about this world. However, there was something about the voice that just did not speak to me. This was particularly true when it came to Sarah. I think the attempt at innocence and speech patterns from 1692 did not come off as intended. At first Sarah seemed not just naive, but not all that bright even though later it is revealed that she received a better than expected education from her father. Once the story got moving and there were plots, relationships, and commentary on the state of the world to unravel I was more engaged. So much of this story was exactly what I wanted, and I wanted to love it all. I think maybe it was just a disconnect for me with the writing style of the authors that did not let me get fully invested in the story. It had so much of what I was looking for, and think others will enjoy it. 

Spellbound is a book with a lot going on, and I think it will appeal to many that enjoy the urban fantasy and paranormal romance with a witch leaning. 

No comments: