Book Review: Wait, Rest, Pause: Dormancy in Nature by Marcie Flinchum Atkins

Wait, Rest, Pause: Dormancy in Nature by Marcie Flinchum Atkins is a non fiction picturebook. It is full of beautiful photos of animals accompanied by text about dormancy in nature. Featuring creatures like ladybugs, chickadees, squirrels, and even alligators, this book should not put curious kids to sleep!
Wait, Rest, Pause: Dormancy in Nature exceeded my expectation with the images used. The photographs were absolutely wonderful, and worth looking through the book for. I was also very excited by the additional information about types of dormancy, and suggestions for further reading- both with books and online. However, the heart of the book felt flat for me. The images were wonderful, and the placement and varied fonts for the text were very visually engaging. I found the text itself to be a little clunky, not that I expect or want all books for children to rhyme, but there should be a comfortable cadence for reading aloud.  I liked the intent of the book, and think the design was great, but the book just did not match my high expectations.

Wait, Rest, Pause: Dormancy in Nature is visually stunning, and has great endpages information, but did not wow me as a whole.

No comments: