Early Book Review: I Don’t Like to Eat Ants by JTK Belle, Sabine Mielke

I Don’t Like to Eat Ants is a picturebook written by JTK Belle and illustrated by Sabine Mielke. It is currently scheduled for release on August 1 2019. This story follows Anteater One and Anteater Two’s debate over their current diet of ants. Anteater One doesn’t like to eat ants and wants Anteater Two to try new foods, while Anteater Two believes it’s their nature to only eat ants and nothing else. Together, Anteater One and Anteater Two adventure off to the Peanut Butter and Jelly Deli, where they discover that it’s important to try new things, because you’ll never know if you like something unless you’re willing to give it a chance. 

I Don’t Like to Eat Ants is a fun book about anteaters arguing about what they should be eating. One anteater is sick of ants and would much prefer cake and rolls while the other is insisting that eating ants is part of their nature, and included in their name. I liked their banter and the way they finally find a common ground. I found the illustrations to be pretty much perfect, illustrating the spirit of the story and having details that made for additional humor. I especially enjoyed the side conversations by the ants throughout the story, I almost missed them, and only noticed them part way through the book so I had to go back and look again. I think this book will stand for multiple re reads and might become a favorite book for some young readers.

I Don’t Like to Eat Ants is a cute story about trying new things and not being tied down by names or expectations. I think this book is well suited for storytimes, sharing one on one, and for emerging readers to read on their own.

No comments: