Book Review: Mera: Tidebreaker by Danielle Paige, Stephen Byrne

Mera: Tidebreaker is a graphic novel written by Danielle Paige and illustrated by Stephen Byrn. Mera is teenage royalty, heir to the throne of Xebel, the other not-so-lost colony under the sea. But Mera is destined to wear a different crown, that of Atlantis. When the inhabitants of Xebel plot to overthrow their homeland of Atlantis, Mera is sent to kill the heir to the throne, Arthur Curry. As the unrest between their colonies grows, Mera and Arthur unexpectedly fall in love...will Arthur Curry be the king at Mera's side in Atlantis, or will he die under her blade?

Mera: Tidebreaker is a young adult graphic novel, but sometimes feels like it is slanted for a younger audience. Mera is the expected princess that wants more that what she sees ahead of her, she wants to make a difference, so she breaks the rules and breaks away. Things do not go as planned, because they never do. Some of this worked for me, I enjoyed the artwork and thought the colors and style were perfect for this particular story. However, some of the scenes ended abruptly and parts of the relationship buildng of the story just did not flow for me. Perhaps it is because I am so far from the target audience, but I read a good deal of middle grade and young adult materials so I am not sure if that is the problem. I was kind of hoping to get a better understanding of some of these characters, since I am behind on my DC universe lore, and in some ways I did that, but it did not really help me like them any more.

Mera: Tidebreaker was a mixed bag for me. I think there is certainly an audience for it and the art is very well done, but I think I was expecting more.

No comments: