Book Review: Fashions Fade, Haunted Is Eternal (Haunted Vintage) by Rose Pressey

Fashions Fade, Haunted Is Eternal is the seventh book in the Haunted Vintage Mystery series by Rose Pressey. I have read some, but not all, of the books in this series. While those reading the series in order will definitely get more from the character and relationship development than newcomers, I think each book can also be enjoyed without the prior knowledge. 

Cookie Chanel, owner of the chic clothing store It’s Vintage Y’All in Sugar Creek, Georgia, has been hired to dress models for a fashion shoot. The spread will be featured in Fashion and Style magazine's October issue—so the models are posing in a cemetery. As someone who can see and talk to ghosts, Cookie's not spooked by the location. But she is surprised when a new ghost appears, decked out in 1920s couture. And she's shocked when she hears a gunshot. Then a model runs toward her, saying the grumpy photographer has been edited out of the picture – for good. With help from her ghostly pals, Cookie must zoom in on the truth before she’s the next to strike a final pose.

Fashions Fade, Haunted Is Eternal is a well written story with a nice balance of character development, small town charm, and mystery. I like that there are some creepy moments, but that the ghosts themselves are not spooky. The biggest scares come from the mystery, not the supernatural element of the story. I like Cookie and her ghostly companions, and like that while there is a romance factor here it does not overwhelm the rest of the story.I thought the mystery was well done although I still wonder what happened with a couple of the bits of information that turned out to be nothing. I also have a couple ghost related questions, but revealing those thoughts might offer spoilers and I would hate to do that.

I am not sure what was not working for me though, because while I enjoyed the read I never really became fully engaged. I wanted to know where everything was going and what would happen next, but I had no trouble putting the book aside to deal with other matters, or waste time on Facebook. Maybe it was just my mindset when I started reading and nothing to do with the book, because I cannot put my finger on the reason for the disconnect.

Fashions Fade, Haunted Is Eternal is a solid cozy mystery with a ghostly flavor. I think fans of the author and series will enjoy it and want to keep on reading. 

No comments: