Early Book Review: Circle of the Moon (Soulwood) by Faith Hunter

Circle of the Moon is the fourth book in the Soulwood series by Faith Hunter. It is currently scheduled for release on February 26 2019. This series is set in the same world as Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series and there is some significant cross over. However, you can enjoy one series without the other. I do recommend reading the Soulwood series in order, as newcomers will be missing quite a bit of important backstory. Those that read all of Hunter's books (like me) will get the most out of the story because of the interrelated characters. 
Nell can draw magic from the land around her, and lately she's been using it to help the Psy-Law Enforcement Division, which solves paranormal crimes. Joining the team at PsyLED has allowed her to learn more about her powers and the world she always shunned--and to find true friends. Head agent Rick LaFleur shifts into a panther when the moon calls him, but this time, something has gone wrong. Rick calls Nell from a riverbank--he's naked, with no memory of how he came to be there, and there's a dead black cat, sacrificed in a witch circle and killed by black magic. Then more animals turn up dead, and team rushes to investigate. A blood-witch is out to kill. But when it seems as if their leader is involved in the crime, the bonds that hold the team together could shatter at any moment.

Circle of the Moon is just as complex and exciting to read as everything else I have read from Hunter. I will admit that it has been long enough since the previous book in the series that I had to go back and look at my thoughts on the previous book to make sure I was up to speed before getting too far into the story, and I wished I have revisited the most recent Yellowrock book as well. There is a lot going on here, and I had to give the book my full attention to take in all the character and story line development. Nell continues to grow into her independence and understanding who and what she can be in the world. Mud, Rick, and Occam are only a few of the secondary characters that I loved getting to know better as the story progressed. The mystery and case that the unit is working on, and the people that become part of the larger story because of it, are very well done, and some are fascinating in their own right, even without the ties to Jane's story. The magic circles, vampires, and magic flying around are complicated and tangled, leaving the characters and most readers puzzled as to the end game, at least until it is almost too late. My only complaint with this book is that at times it felt too complicated and tied in with Jane's story that I think those that for one reason or another have not read those as well will be even more lost in the tangle of stories than those of us who think we are all caught up. That being said, when the book was over, I only wanted more, so I still consider it a must read for fans.

Circle of the Moon is another wonderful read by Hunter. This book had me wanting to go back and reread some Jane Yellowrock, and hoping that the stories written in this world continue on. 

No comments: