Book Review: Crossroads of Bones by Luanne Bennett

Crossroads of Bones is the first book in the Katie Bishop series by Luanne Bennett. Katie Bishop would have taken her secret to the grave, but a bunch of fat cat society folks smelled her out and made her an offer she couldn’t refuse. Katie just wants to run her tattoo business quietly under the radar. But when a man walks into her shop and hands her a drawing of the same tattoo she’s been dreaming about for weeks, things start to spin out of control. The last two people who tried to apply that tattoo are dead. Only half human, it’s her other half that an elite group wants to hire—a group of Savannah’s more privileged citizens, including the city’s reigning coven of witches. There’s a rogue god on the loose, and Katie is the only one who can send him back to hell before he breaks open the crossroads and lets the underworld waltz right in—if he manages to get that deadly tattoo inked onto his back.

Crossroads of Bones is a solid urban fantasy, with plenty of character and world building. I have read a lot of this genre, and that left me with mixed feelings. There were moments that felt like I had missed a previous book and others when things seemed a little too familiar. I think I must have read a short story or excerpt from the author before and forgotten. However, that is my personal issue, and not something that is actually wrong with the read, I just want to preface my review so readers will know what colored my take on the story.

I really liked Katie's character. She hit a good blend of badass and vulnerable, and was honest with the people she cared about most. I enjoyed the paranormal world building, and like that there were some new takes and types that I do not remember ever having seen before. I found the cast of characters to be nicely varied, and like that some things were more slowly revealed than others. I think the big bad and layers of conflict and secrecy was fairly well done, although I was almost expecting another layer at some point but that could always come along in a future book. I will admit that I do get a little annoyed with the constant romance and being controlled by the beast or hormones that seems ingrained in the genre. Not everyone needs to be attracted to the main character, and said lead does not need to hop in the sack just because. And, if they are going to, at least make sure they make the pretense having of safe sex and having a mature discussion at some point- regardless of if pregnancy is even a consideration.

Crossroads of Bones is a good start to an urban fantasy series. I am not sure if I am going to keep going, but I think it will be a good choice for many readers.

No comments: