Book Review: Till Death do us Tart (Bakeshop Mystery) by Ellie Alexander

Till Death do us Tart is the eight book in the Bakeshop Mystery series by Ellie Alexander. I have not read the previous books in the series. I think those that have followed the series will have a more satisfying read, but even coming in this late to the series I was able to catch up and enjoy the read.

Jules Capshaw has too much on her plate—and she’s feeling the pinch: the whole town of Ashland, Oregon, is in on the surprise Elizabethan-themed wedding she’s planning for her mom and soon-to-be stepdad. But is her secret scheme half-baked? She’s hiding racks overflowing with sweet treats while Torte is topsy-turvy with a major remodel and the return of Jules’s estranged husband, Carlos. And until now, Jules had no clue about the bitter family feud that has her friend Lance frazzled and suspicious. But when a party crasher takes someone out with a serving of poisoned wine and Jules discovers the deadly cup was intended for her, it’s time to turn the tables on a killer.

Till Death do us Tart is as much about Jules growing as a character as it is the mystery. I liked that Juliet's sleuthing with her friends was well paced and had a good number of twists and turns along the way. There was much more going on than I expected, and was pleased with the resolution. It was cool to see the changes and growth in Jules, her relationships, and her business as the story went on. I can think of many interesting ways her future might go, and some of the people that might be involved in future mysteries. I was a little annoyed with how she just kept leaving Carlos and his son alone in her house with no note or information about where she was going. While this might be just how they have always been together and this sort of thing explained earlier in the series, it really bothered me. If I was running around trying to solve a murder or two I would make sure people knew where I was. On the other hand, I liked the inclusion of the recipies at the end, and I fully expect to try two of them on my next day off.

Till Death do us Tart is a delightful read, for the mystery and the characters. While I think fans of the series will enjoy it more than I, it still was engaging read.

No comments: