Book Review: My Friend Sleep by Laura Baker, Hannah Peck

My Friend Sleep is a picturebook written by Laura Baker and illustratrated by Hannah Peck. This story is meant to help parents tackle the common issue of night terrors in young children. Readers travel alongside the main character through her dreams, and her friend Sleep. Greet friendly aliens, ride on a dragon's back and meet a scary monster, who turns out to be not-so scary after all. With Sleep by your side, nothing is as terrifying as it seems.

My Friend Sleep is a beautifully illustrated journey through dreamland. I liked how the artwork was dreamy and creative, following the imagination of the dreamer. I also like how it showed the good things that we can see in our dreams, and gives young readers a way to cope or change the bad that they might dream. The text and illustrations paired together well, and I think the overall effect was lovely. I am not sure if it will have the desired effect for children that are afraid to sleep and thus avoid bedtime and fight it, but I think it is well worth a try.

No comments: