Book Review: Suddenly Mine (Montgomery Brothers) by Samantha Chase

Suddenly Mine is the eighth book in the Montgomery Brothers series by Samantha Chase. I have read other books by the author, but none from this particular series. The main reward for return readers is the understanding of Montgomery family dynamics and some of the characters. I was able to jump right in and enjoy the read.

Christian Montgomery is burnt out—the family business might be his entire world, but his father's judgment means Christian never stops working. His only respite is gazing at the beach and the carefree surfers riding the waves, especially the curvy redhead who's caught his attention.Sophia Bennington has just fled from her small Kansas town to California, where she's trying her best to embrace her new beginning. Soon Christian and Sophia find one another, and it feels like sanctuary. But when their difficult pasts catch up to them, will they run away from each other?

Suddenly Mine is a sweet romance that deals with some very real topics, and glosses over others. I like that Sophie and Christian each have some family issues and part problems that make their coming together more challenging. I thought Christian's work habits and relationship with his father were handled very well, and I liked the way the rest of the family supported each other was great. Sophie is sweet and sunny, but still more than able to put her foot down and stand up for herself, and does what is best for herself and others. I liked the set up. and the characters. I thought the conflicts they had were very realistic, and I thought the tension and resolution were well done. I guess the thing that bothered me is not all that important, but I did not like the ignoring all possible money issues. Sophie is struggling financial, but just kind of goes along with some pricey adventures with no real comment. She is aware of the financial differences between her and Christian, which she worries about once or twice, but only in the context of wondering if he will look down on her because of something rather than in a how will I pay for this way. That bothered me on several occasions. 

Suddenly Mine is sweet but heart wrenching in some ways. I believe fans of the author and series will greatly enjoy it, but it did not wow me. 
 

No comments: