Book Review: Ghost Friends Forever #2, Witches Get Things Done by Monica Gallagher, Kata Kane

Witches Get Things Done is the second issue in the Ghost Friends Forever graphic novel series written by Monica Gallagher and illustrated by Kata Kane. I would recommend reading the series in order, but if you are determined to start here I think readers could catch up with the major points quickly.

Magic is the only thing that will help Sophia Greene-Campos reunite with Whitney, her ghost girl crush who died in the 1990s. Frustrated, Sophia is determined to find Witney. Soon Sophia befriends a witch named Charlotte who quickly becomes a trusted friend. While Sophia is busy disobeying her parents, her ex-boyfriend Jake is struggling between expressing his romantic feelings for her and helping her to get Whitney back. And Felix is suffering the nightmarish after effects of creating a Banishment Portal at such a young age. In order to help him, their parents Joanne and Oscar might be forced to reveal more of their knowledge about portals, two-headed poltergeists, and other secrets about The Paranormal Incident that split the family.

Witches Get Things Done is an entertaining read, and I was glad to see what come next for Sophia, Felix, Jake, and Whitney. I really liked getting to see some new characters, and that neither new or old characters seemed to be neglected or left behind in the story telling- which sometimes happens when the field gets crowded. I liked the development of the new and changing relationships, partial because it was as unsure, complicated, and messy as real life. I felt like some of the ghostly and science based paranormal aspects were glossed over or secondary to the angst Sophia has about her relationships. Even the danger is not really focused on as much as I thought it could have been. However, I enjoyed the story and only wish I got a little more from each issue. 

Witches Get Things Done is a nice continuation to the story. I enjoyed the read and the art. It was nice, but did not wow me, although I do plan on continuing the story.

No comments: