Book Review: Making Chase (Chase Brothers) by Lauren Dane

Making Chase is the fourth book in the Chase Brothers series by Lauren Dane. It was originally published in 2007, but has recently been re released with some minor changes. I have read one other book in this series, and many newer books by the author and think that while each book in the series does build a better understanding of the characters, they can also each be fully enjoyed on their own.
All of Petal, Georgia, is waiting for the last Chase brother to fall. At least, that’s how it feels to firefighter Matt Chase, who’s getting a little anxious himself. His brothers have all found love, why hasn’t he? But fate, in the form of a curvaceous hairdresser, is about to change that. Salon owner Tate Murphy has come a long way from her trailer-park roots, taking care of her seven siblings along the way. Even though she’s put the past behind her, she knows someone like Matt Chase is way out of her league. But that doesn’t stop her from getting a good eyeful every chance she gets.When a car accident throws them together, Tate gets more than an eyeful, she gets the whole package. But when small-town bias and her own insecurities get in the way of their relationship, Matt will have to prove he doesn’t care where she came from, only where she goes.

Making Chase is an entertaining and touching read.  I really enjoyed the combination of sweet and snarky in Tate. She is loving and giving but has a hard protective shell and quick wit thanks to everything she has gone through over the years. I loved her connection to family, and could relate to her insecurities and fears. Matt has had it a little to easy over the years, and gets frustrated and impatient easily. This does not work in his favor, and despite his good heart and love he has for his family I just never really connected with him as a character. He read like eye and mind candy to me, which was fine for me while I was reading but when I reflect back his character feels a little flat. The sex scenes were on pair with what I expect from Dane, which is pure heat. I really enjoyed the cast of secondary characters, and seeing women supporting each other and standing up for each other rather than tearing each other down (although there is some of that as part of the conflict as well). The love and family support that flows through this series really make it for me, and I wish everyone could have that kind of support through friends or family. 

Making Chase is a fun read that deals with a lot of real issues. I enjoy it, and liked seeing how much one of my favorite contemporary romance authors has grown. 

No comments: