Book Review: Yankees New England Adventures from the editors of Yankee Magazine

Yankees New England Adventures, from the editors of Yankee Magazine, offers readers a go-to source for in-depth travel information, with the photography and practical know-how that Yankee readers have come to expect. Whether you are interested in exploring the vibrant culture of tiny villages or big cities, eating outstanding meals in colonial inns or vintage diners, rambling through art museums or up steep wooded hills, this is the guide for you. An island stuck in the 19th century? A walk-in, stained-glass globe? A place where you can eat Thanksgiving dinner every day of the year? From the golden dunes of Nantucket to the alpine tundra of the White Mountains, from the blue waters of Lake Champlain to the green grass of Boston Common, travelers and residents alike will find over 400 local secrets, out-of-the-way places, and unique experiences in all six states of this remarkable region of America. Live the Yankee lifestyle and get on the road with Yankee’s New England Adventures.
Yankees New England Adventures is a lovely book for those that live in New England (like myself) and wonder what fun or beautiful things they might have missed over the years, and for those planning a visit. I am glad to say that I have visited most of the listed locations for my home state, and a good number of the locations in the others. I enjoyed seeing the photographs and reading the practical and succinct descriptions of locations that are familiar to me, and some that I have yet to visit. While not all of the information is absolutely correct, for instance Sleeping Giant State Park is still mostly closed- but who involved in publishing this book could have predicted a crazy tornado hitting Connecticut and causing the amount of damage it did to the area. However, I still think this is a great resource for planning a day trip or staycation if you are local, or a lovely time away for those coming from further away. I enjoyed the information and images, and the ideas the read gave me about where I can drag my family the next time I get the urge to explore.

No comments: