Book Review: P is for Pterodactyl by Raj Halder, Chris Carpenter, Maria Beddia

P is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever written by by Raj Halder and Chris Carpenter,and illustrated by Maria Beddia. Turning the traditional idea of an alphabet book on its head, this book is perfect for anyone who has ever been stumped by silent letters or confused by absurd homophones. This unique book takes silent letter entries like "K is for Knight" a step further with "The noble knight's knife nicked the knave's knee." Illustrations offer context clues, and alliterative words help readers navigate text like "a bright white gnat is gnawing on my gnocchi" with ease. Everyone from early learners to grown-up grammarians will love this wacky book where "A is for Aisle" but "Y is definitely not for Why."

P is for Pterodactyl is a great picturebook for almost all ages. I think it might be confusing for the youngest readers that are still working on sight words and figuring out the basics, but it might be an entertaining book for family sharing, or in a classroom setting. I can picture an upper elementary, or even higher, class using this book to show how strange our language can be, and get a better grasp on some of those oddities. I have to admit that I found the pronunciation key at the end of the book very helpful, because there were some words that I knew I had been mentally mispronouncing for years, because I had only seen them in books but never spoken. The illustrations are cute and bright, and offer a good amount of context clues to help readers figure things out. 

I think P is for Pterodactyl will be a big hit with a particular group of readers, and will be useful to others. I just do not see it having a broad or widespread appeal. 

No comments: