Book Review: Beatrice Zinker Upside Down Thinker: Incognito by Shelley Johannes

Beatrice Zinker Upside Down Thinker: Incognito is the second book about Beatrice by Shelley Johannes. I do recommend reading the series in order to understand some of friendships and particularities of the main characters.  

Beatrice Zinker's top-secret plan, Operation Upside, is finally in full swing! And she's REALLY EXCITED ABOUT IT! But when Beatrice impulsively awards her teacher, Mrs. Tamarack, an UPSIDE of her own-with the words Most Strict lettered in gold-the team has to put the entire mission on hold to avoid suspicion. Lying low isn't exactly Beatrice's strong suit and her classmate Wes desperately needs to be recognized. When Wes's certificate falls into the wrong hands, Beatrice and her best friend, Lenny, must find a way once again, to save Operation Upside-and themselves-from big trouble.

Incognito is a  fast fun read. I like that Beatrice is a sweet girl that is struggling to be herself even when the world seems to disagree. Being true to her ideals and helping others is not always easy, and her impulsive nature tends to get Beatrice into trouble. I like that she makes mistakes, and sometimes takes time to own her mistakes. This made her more real to me, and more relatable for readers of all ages. However, at the heart of it Beatrice is trying to do the right thing, trying to be a good friend, and trying to make others feel good about themselves for their differences and I found that to be admirable. The read is fun, and as I have a daughter who is very much an individual, but not an upside down thinker, I liked seeing the world through a different set of eyes to help me understand more of what it is like being in school when you do not fit in. Not that I ever fit in, but my elementary school days are long ago and I have blocked most of them from memory. I think parents and teachers can get just as much from reading this series as the students that will love it. 

Incognito is a delightful follow up to the first book in the series. I was a little disappointed by how dependent it was on the set up in the first book, and think that publishing a boxed set or bound collection when the series is complete would be awesome. For those that read the first book, and plan on continue I think this is a great read about building each other up and finding a way to be kind is wonderful.

No comments: