Book Review: Beg, Borrow, or Steal by Susie Tate

Beg, Borrow, or Steal by Susie Tate is a contemporary romance. Jamie is proud of everything he’s achieved. A consultant anesthetist and the Medical Education Director – he’s a pretty big deal. So when one of his medical students falls asleep, right in the middle of a tutorial, he is furious. For Libby, pride is a luxury and beauty is currency. Pregnant at seventeen and an aspiring doctor, she couldn’t afford to be proud, so she cashed in on her looks instead. She will beg, borrow or steal to achieve her dreams and give her daughter the life she deserves, even if she has to forgo sleep – even if she has to leave her dignity behind. The last thing she needs is to have riled the gorgeous, judgmental Head of Medical Education. But there’s only so far you can push yourself, only so much pressure you can be under until you break. Libby’s been on that cliff edge for a while; her health may just tip her over. A kick in the shin from a four-year-old girl and a confrontation with her tearful, exhausted mother soon forces Jamie to see what a bastard he’s been. Libby may not accept his help, but he’s relentless when he wants something, and it’s not long before he realizes that this mother and daughter belong with him. So when a stag night he’s on ends up in the best strip club in England and he sees who the main attraction is, his reaction is explosive. Despite everything, Libby finds she still has some pride left. This man has made her feel small twice now. He won’t be getting a third shot. No matter how gorgeous he is, no matter how persistent.
Beg, Borrow, or Steal is a romance with many good points, and only one negative. I love that they take place in England and I learned a little more British slang. I love that the characters (for the most part) face real world troubles and struggles. I did not love that Jamie so so completely alpha, judgmental male. Libby has faced huge hurdles and is working hard to give her daughter everything, and to make her parents proud after the mistakes she has made. She is working it out, and while clearly overdoing it, but determined to be self sufficient. I loved her determination and sweet personality. I thought her character, and her daughter were fantastic. Her friends and the connections she made with her coworkers. I was not thrilled with Jamie steamrolling his way over Libby's objections and manipulating her, her daughter, and her friends to get his way. He was continuously controlling and judgmental- even when he was aware of how horrible he was being, he continued on. I did love the story, and I fell completely in love with the community that surrounded Libby and Jamie, and when Jamie was behaving I loved the book, and when he was misbehaving I wanted to smack or kick him. However, I think that visceral reaction party shows how real Tate made the characters for me. I just loved the story.
Beg, Borrow, or Steal started off a little weak for me, but it quickly surprised me and left me wanting more. I admit that as soon as I finished this book I quickly downloaded the rest of the authors book from Amazon and have been happily binge reading. Good thing I schedule this reviews a month or so ahead so I have some wiggle room as I loose myself in these romances.

No comments: