Book Review: Uniformly Dead (A Stitch in Time Mystery) by Greta Mckennan

Uniformly Dead is the first book in the A Stitch in Time Mystery series by Greta Mckennan. Daria has come up with a brilliant new plan to expand her seamstress business beyond stitching wedding gowns—historical sewing. And with Civil War re-enactors setting up camp in her hometown of Laurel Springs, Pennsylvania, she has plenty of opportunities, including one client playing a Confederate colonel who's a particular stickler for authenticity. But soon the small-town peace starts coming apart at the seams as an antique doll is stolen from a Civil War exhibit and the cranky colonel is found impaled by his own bayonet. When Daria's brother is suspected of the theft and a bridal client's fiance is accused of the murder, Daria is determined to untangle the clues to prove their innocence. She needs to get this case sewn up fast, though, before the murderer re-enacts the crime and makes her history.

Uniformly Dead is an engaging read with a nice combination of small town and niche style cozy mystery. Daria is a smart, independent character that is still reeling for a disastrous relationship but making it work as best she can. She has her quirks, but her tenant does as well, and so do her clients, and her brother. I like that all of the characters have good and bad, and they all have layers that while I feel like I know them, I would love to learn more and am eager to read more from the series to discover more. I like that the mystery have several layers of danger and suspects, and that Daria needs to take a hard look as the guys she is interested in, and her brother, not just people she does not know. I am more than over the use of love triangles, so that aspect of the story felt a little overplayed, but I have faith that in later books that will not happen again based on the big conclusion. I really liked that while I had my suspicions as to the culprit, it was not until the  very end that I knew who did what, and how it all came together. The action and climax of the story was impressive, and I was holding my breathe as the danger and revelations all made themselves known. There are more twists and turns than I expected, and was completely enthralled- and still find myself thinking about the characters after I finished the book.
Uniformly Dead is a fast, entertaining read. I read it in a day and fully enjoyed the ride. I will be keeping my eye out for more books in this series since I have already fallen behind.

No comments: