Book Review: The Right Kind of Rogue (Playful Brides) by Valerie Bowman

The Right Kind of Rogue is the eight book in the Playful Brides series by Valerie Bowman. I have not read the previous books, but while I could tell some characters carried over, it is not necessary to read these books are a series or in order. Although, I would think that those who do will greatly enjoy seeing past characters make appearances and have some prior knowledge to the featured characters which makes for a more engaging read.

Viscount Hart Highgate has decided to put his rakish ways behind him and finally get married. He may adore a good brandy or a high-speed carriage race, but he takes his duties as heir to the earldom seriously. Now all he has to do is find the right kind of woman to be his bride—ideally, one who’s also well-connected and well-funded and not like his scheming mother. Meg Timmons has loved Hart, the brother of her best friend, ever since she was an awkward, blushing schoolgirl. If only she had a large dowry—or anything to her name at all. Instead, she’s from a family that’s been locked in a bitter feud with Hart’s for years. And now she’s approaching her third London season, Meg’s chances with him are slim to none, but she has to try.

The Right Kind of Rogue might be deep into a series, and I can clearly see some of the interconnected characters that makes it clear, but it has not fallen into the traps that make it hard for newcomers to join in and pick up just about anywhere. There were a couple mentions of things that happened in previous books, but at no point was I left behind because of not having read the prior books. I loved Meg's character, while practical and pragmatic she is still a romantic and is hoping for her chance with Hart- even though she thinks her chances are slim to none. I like that she is shy on some levels, but willing to stand up for her friends and do everything she can to protect them and herself. I liked her honesty and openness, and Hart's desire to find someone just like her even when he had no idea what he wanted.  I enjoyed the slow realization on Hart's part, and that even when everything seemed to be falling apart and he behaves badly, he is still protecting those he cares about. I just enjoyed this read from beginning to end, and while there were a few occasions when pride and stubbornness made me want to kick a character, they still stayed consistent and highly entertaining. In fact, I liked the book so much that I just downloaded another book in the series to see if they are all as entertaining.

The Right Kind of Rogue is a fully engaging historical romance that I thoroughly enjoyed. I found the characters and the situations they find themselves in to be very well put together. My only disappointment is that it took me this long to find this series.

No comments: