Book Review: Power in Numbers: The Rebel Women of Mathematics by Tabitha Williams

Power in Numbers: The Rebel Women of Mathematics by Tabitha Williams is a full-color, non fiction book that takes a look at the forgotten influence of women in the development of mathematics over the last two thousand years. The book is divided in three parts: I - The Pioneers, II - From Code Breaking to Rocket Science and III - Modern Math Mavens, detailing the careers and achievements of thirty women scientists, with brief mentions of few others. The book brings mathematic powerhouses like astronomer-philosopher Hypatia, theoretical physicist Emmy Noether, and rocket scientist Annie Easley to life for readers and helps us understand that trailblazing women have always existed, we just do not always know their stories unless we take the time to discover them.

Power in Numbers: The Rebel Women of Mathematics is a wonderful and long overdue book. I thought I knew a great deal about the women that have helped shape the world of technology, science, and mathematics. However, this book showed me that I only knew a small number of the women that made such huge impacts on the world. I learned about some women I had never heard of, and learned more about some that I though I knew much more about. Anyone that thinks they cannot make an impact, or that a particular field is not for them because of prejudice or culture, I urge you to read the book. The pictures included with the text about these dynamic women make them more real, and helps the reader connect with them and relate their own lives to those of these women- giving them the inspiration to forge their own path. 

Power in Numbers: The Rebel Women of Mathematics is an inspirational and informative book. I hope that it encourages others to follow their dreams, and to do the work they love regardless of what society and culture might tell them. 

No comments: