Book Review: Hard Breaker (Gargoyles) by Christine Warren

Hard Breaker is the sixth book in the Gargoyles series by Christine Warren. I have read most, of not all of this series, and I recommend having read at least a few of the previous books before picking this one up otherwise you might get lost in the larger story line.

Ivy Beckett 's gift feels more like a curse. She can hear things happening in distant locations, which is how she knows the very instant her family is killed by servants of the Darkness. Furious, she joins the fight to save the world – but the losses are mounting up. She thinks only a miracle can save them—but she doesn't expect the miracle to come in the form of a handsome gargoyle. Baen is a fearsome Guardian, but when he awakes, even his surprised by war that is going on. But what’s even more distracting is beautiful Ivy. Driven by passion, she’s ready to charge head-first into battle. But Baen’s primal instincts to protect what’s his rise within him, and Ivy is dangerously attracted to him. Can she and her gargoyle warrior save the world…and fall in love?

Hard Breaker is the heart of the action and everything comes to its final resolution. I liked that ll of our Gaurdians and Wardens step in and work together, and the support and teasing they offer each other is the best part of the story. I liked Ivy and Baen, but felt like some of the relationship was just glossed over and lost in the larger story. I did enjoy their coming together, and Baen's challenge to understand where her reluctance came from. However, I will admit to the action getting a little drawn out- and I skimmed some of the story just to see how it all came together. I still enjoyed the read, but I just never got lost in the story like I hoped I would.

Hard Breaker is a satisfying conclusion to the series, but I felt like it was somehow a little rushed in some ways but drawn out in others. I still enjoyed the characters and think that those that have stuck through the series need to read it. 

No comments: