Early Book Review: The Uncanny Express (The Unintentional Adventures of the Bland Sisters) by Kara LaReau

The Uncanny Express is the second book in The Unintentional Adventures of the Bland Sisters series by Kara LaReau, and is currently scheduled for release on January 9 2018.  The first book was The Jolly Regina, and while I almost always recommend reading a series in order, I think newcomers to this series will be able to pick up the story quickly.
Jaundice and Kale are back from their adventure on the high seas, and they are settling back into a quiet life in Dullsville, just the way they like it. The tea is tepid, the oatmeal is tasteless, and the socks are ripe for darning, until Aunt Shallot shows up and reveals herself to be anything but the dull relation they were expecting. Instead, she tells her nieces she is Magique, Queen of Magic, and she’s on her way to a big show and in need of two willing assistants. As Magique and the Bland sisters board the Uncanny Express, they meet a cast of mystifying characters. And when Magique goes missing, it’s up to Jaundice and Kale to solve the mystery—with the help of famous detective Hugo Fromage.

The Uncanny Express is the continuation of the story about two sisters whose parents are off adventuring. They prefer to hide away at home avoiding excitement and emotion, but their parents keep arranging adventures for them from afar. Here they are tricked into going off with a female magician and solving a mystery or two on a train. I love that while they drag their feet at every new thing and every emotion, they still keep moving forward and handle what ever comes their way. I liked the resilience that they show, and that while they might complain, they still do what ever needs to be done. I think it might be a good conversation starter for readers that are often reluctant to step up to lead or join in activities, to show that once you get started it gets easier- and they might just enjoy themselves. I know I was never a joiner or one to put myself out there as a kid, and most of the time once I was in the midst of the activity I would enjoy it. I will admit that certain aspects of the mystery I had guessed, but the delivery and journey was enjoyable. 

The Uncanny Express is  a fun adventure that I would love to get my son to read. It is fun, with moments of humor and irony that might go over the heads of some, but I found to be pretty perfect. 

No comments: