Book Review: On the Chase (Rocky Mountain K-9 Unit) by Katie Ruggle

On the Chase is the second book in the Rocky Mountain K-9 Unit series by Katie Ruggle. The first book was Run to Ground. While each book can be enjoyed on its own, I think the character information that is carried from one book to the next enhances the read, and that fans of the series will get more out of the experience, but that new comers can enjoy the read too.

The sole witness to a horrific crime, Kaylee Ramay flees to the Colorado Rockies to start a new life. There she becomes Grace, a dog kennel employee desperately trying to avoid attention, especially from dangerously attractive K9 Officer Hugh Murdoch. Because Hugh is tall, dark, and nothing but trouble. Hugh is anxious to get back in the field after an act of heroism left him warming the bench. Until then, he and his K9 partner Lexi spend their hours teasing the town's mysterious newcomer. But when their simmering attraction is nearly cut short by a sniper's bullet, Hugh's mystery woman must come clean about the secrets she keeps, or both of them will pay the price.

On the Chase is a good contemporary romance with the suspense twist. I liked Kaylee's character for the most part, but I occasionally found her to fall a little flat. The start of this show was Hugh, he is a great character with humor and strength. I liked his pragmatism and attempts to save everyone while still sidelined from his last round of being a hero. I found their romance itself to be a little understated, it just kind of happened, but the danger and suspense aspects of the story were constant. I liked that it was coming from all sides, and that there were twists that I did not expect. I enjoyed the read, but have to admit that I was not as emotional involved in the romance of the book as I expected, but will keep on reading to see where the larger story arch takes the small town our endangered characters are taking cover in.

On the Chase is a solid addition to the series, and left me satisfied with the story, but wanting the next installment. While I enjoyed the first book more than this one, I fully expect the next book to be even better and will keep on reading. 

No comments: