Book Review: The Legend (Sons of Texas) by Donna Grant

The Legend by Donna Grant is part of the Sons of Texas series. This is the only book from the series I have read, and I felt like I was missing  big parts of character development and the larger story arch. The main characters had a history, which I suspect was part of the previous books. While I could still enjoy the read, I think those that have read the series in order will get much more out of it than those of us that read one alone.

Callie Reed doesn’t need a man to protect her. An expert sharpshooter and renegade hacker, this Texas-born spitfire’s got the skills and the courage to stand up to any danger, no matter how deadly. But when she becomes the target of a shadowy organization known as the Saints, Callie is forced to team up with the one man she can’t outshoot: the gorgeous, and infuriating, Lone Star legend named Wyatt Loughman. A Delta Force Colonel with a rock-hard body and stone-cold heart, Wyatt has been teasing and tormenting Callie since they were playmates on his family’s ranch. Of course, he’s wildly attracted to the fiery, strong-willed Callie. But he’s always hidden his feelings behind a wall of Texas tough and military cool, even as he’s burning up with desire. Can Wyatt save Callie’s life—without putting her love in the line of fire?

The Legend is a contemporary suspense romance. I liked the characters, Callie is a strong woman that has been through a lot but still struggles to stay in a position to be in the right. Wyatt is a strong alpha male trying to stay unattached or connected to others, for their own good. They were a couple briefly, before Wyatt left for the military and the dangerous work it involves. The family dynamics with Wyatt, his brothers, and their father is important to the series and so is the history of Callie and her family. Most of this background information is clear in the story, but it is obvious that those returning to the story from previous books are at an advantage. The book also changes viewpoints, including Wyatt's brothers and and other important players in the larger story line. It was a little too much going on to make me happy, mainly because I felt like I was joining the story halfway through. However, I did enjoy the characters and the way they eventually worked things out. There was plenty of action, danger, and intrigue to keep me on my toes, as I waited for the happy ending.  

The Legend is a good book, but there is so much going on with the larger story arches and other characters that were clearly related to the other books in the series that I often felt a bit adrift. The characters and story were solid, but it is clearly a series that needs to be read as a whole, in order. 

No comments: