Book Review: Dog with a Bone (Black Dog) by Hailey Edwards

Dog with a Bone is the first book in the Black Dog series by Hailey Edwards. Half-bloods with Thierry’s skill set are given two options. They can join the conclave’s marshal program, or they can pack their bags. Turn down the job offer, and you’ve just shredded your residency pass for the mortal realm and booked yourself a one-way ticket to Faerie. Texas is the only home Thierry has ever known, and she’s not going anywhere. Even if it means following in her notorious father’s footsteps as a peacekeeper. But pinning on the badge opens her eyes to the fact sometimes fae need protection too, and that sometimes humans are the real monsters.
Dog with a Bone is an urban fantasy that breaks the mold a little. I have seen the idea of supernaturals policing their own, but had not seen Thierry's particular flavor of creature (which is only partially explained) before. That alone intrigued me. I found Thierry to be capable, strong, and smart; with enough insecurity in her abilities and power to make her real to me. I liked the chemistry between Thierry and her partner- as well as the groundwork laid down with the Marshals and her friends.  I think that this series has a lot of potential, and I do hope to keep reading. I not only want to see where the next case takes Thierry, I also want to learn more about the fae (including Thierry) and world that this particular series takes place in. The balance between information given, hinted at, and left out hit the perfect balance to intrigue but not annoy urban fantasy fans- which will keep them interested and reading. 

Dog with a Bone is the great start to a series. It left me with one mystery solved, and plenty more to think about as the book ended. I was not thrilled with the teaser ending, but completely understand why it was done. I will pick up the following books if I run across them, unfortunately my current reading list is too long to include it on my "looking for" list.

No comments: