Early Book Review: Wolf Hunt (SWAT) by Paige Tyler

Wolf Hunt is the sixth book in the SWAT series by Paige Tyler and is currently scheduled for release on June 6 2017. Remy Boudreaux is back in his hometown, New Orleans. He's there with three of his fellow Dallas SWAT officers for a week of training with the NOLA PD. On the eve of a tropical storm, Remy and his buddies prowl the French Quarter. One tantalizing scent captures Remy's senses, forcing him to follow until he is face to face with Triana Bellamy, his beautiful high school crush. After reconnecting, Remy and Triana are close, very close. Remy struggles to keep things casual. Ever since his partner, and lover, was killed on the job, he's kept women at a distance. But when a mysterious wolf pendant ropes them both into danger, Remy's protective instincts kick in. He may have to reveal his true self and hope Triana accepts him.

Wolf Hunt opens with the scene that explains how Remy's partner, and lover, was killed in a raid. So readers know right away that he is going to be reluctant to get attached from the very beginning. My only issue with it is that the raid seemed so familiar to me that I had to check and double check to make sure I had not read this book before. I know raids gone wrong are all going to be similar on some level, I started off my read unsure, but was glad that the rest of the story made up for my initial unease. I liked hat Remy reconnects with someone he knew from his past, but that readers still got to know Triana and her mother a little. I think the mother was my favorite character- and I spent a good portion of the book worried that she was going to get killed, because I liked her and her forthright style and stubbornness so much. She was three steps ahead of Remy, Triana, and the  root of the danger haunting them all the whole book. I say some of the twists and connections coming right away, but was happy to see some of the interesting ways they came about. I enjoyed the read, but could have done with less stubborn brooding and more actual conversation between Triana and Remy- but that is something that I find to be a common issue in romance of all sub-genres.

Wolf Hunt is not far off what I was expecting, but was glad to see a few unexpected twists along the way. Fans of the series will want to pick this one up, and since the stage is set off the SWAT home turf I think newcomers to the series will be able to fully enjoy the read as well. 

No comments: