Book Review: Betrayed by a Kiss (An Unlikely Hero) by Kris Rafferty

Betrayed by a Kiss is the first book in the An Unlikely Hero series by Kris Rafferty. Marnie Somerville is sure Dane MacLain is just another bad guy. Her job as resident investigator at Whitman Enterprises is to track down the owners of delinquent accounts, but something about Dane’s case is off, and Marnie can’t resist a good mystery. The secret files and cover-up she finds after hacking her boss’s computer are more than she expected, and now she’s fleeing her former employer, right into Dane’s arms. Former detective Dane MacLain has spent the last year gathering intel against Whitman Enterprises, the company he believes responsible for his wife’s death. When a beautiful and intense woman shows up with information, Dane is willing to accept all she has to offer, especially when the help comes in such a sexy package. Caught in a deadly cat and mouse chase, Dane must do everything he can to protect Marnie as they run for their lives.

Betrayed by a Kiss is fairly fast paced, with plenty of danger and action. Marnie had been trying to go straight, only to discover that the company she worked for was worse than anyone she had worked with while she was growing up. Dane is a former cop that just cannot let go of the wrongs he knows exists, and whats to prove that they exist. They have each been through betrayals and danger in the past, but when Marnie tries to save Dane's life they end up working together to bring down Whitman Enterprises. I liked that we get to see Dane's daughter and sister, and that there is plenty of action and danger to keep things moving alone. I also like that Marnie seems to be a very complex character. She has a serious past and some crazy connections, but sometimes I felt like there must have been a previous book of something to connect people that seemed important to the story and had backstory that was not included in this story. The tension between our main players was high, and the intentions and decisions believable. It all fit together well, but I just did not connect to the characters or story, and found myself skimming over bits of the high action just to get to the resolution faster. I am not sure why the disconnect, there was nothing I can point to. It is perfectly possible it was my mood weather than the fault of the material.


Betrayed by a Kiss is one of those books that had everything, and should have been fantastic, but I just never really got invested in. There was nothing really wrong with it, but I never connected with the characters for some reason. It could have been just not the book I was in the mood for when I read it. I still cannot put my finger on what did not click for me. 

No comments: