Early Book Review: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: A Spoon Too Short (Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: A Spoon Too Short #1-5)by Arvind Ethan David, Ilias Kyriazis

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: A Spoon Too Short collects the five issues of this story arc by Arvind Ethan David and Ilias Kyriazis and is currently scheduled for release on September 20 2016. After the many and conflicting versions of the legendary Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams created Dirk Gently: a detective with a belief in the fundamental interconnectedness of all things, a troubled relationship with the laws of probability and quantum physics, and a love of cats and pizza. 
After the events of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea Time, but prior to the detective's relocation to California in The Interconnectedness of All Kings, Dirk finds himself investigating a bizarre case of poaching, dumbstruck tourists, and the inner membranes of a rhinoceros nose.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: A Spoon Too Short is a solid graphic novel and kept my interest through the entire story. I will admit that I have not read as much about Dirk Gently's adventures as I would like, but his hair still always surprises me, and sometimes distracts me. However, despite his distracting hair, I really found myself fully engaged by the story and wanting more.the art work is as quirky as the story and the characters, and does a great job of illustrating what readers know from the text, and adding more information and emotion into the mix. I found the characters well defined, although there is some background into a relationship or two that I definitely want more information on, but that is my fault for not having read previous stories, rather than the fault of the authors.


Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: A Spoon Too Short has a complete and compelling storyline, with a satisfying conclusion and more than enough weirdness to keep me happy. However, it also inspired me to read more because Dirk's personal story left plenty of questions on the table, and I would love to explore his exploits more. This graphic novel offers the right balance of answers and leaving readers wanting more without leaving them feeling cheated.

No comments: