Book Review: Suddenly Sorceress by Erica Lucke Dean

Suddenly Sorceress by Erica Lucke Dean is a fun paranormal romp. Ivie McKie isn’t your run-of-the-mill kindergarten teacher. After an encounter with a horny goat, followed by a confrontation with her cheating fiancee, Ivie is shocked when the big jerk suddenly transforms into a skunk, literally. Enlisting the help of her shopaholic friend Chloe and sexy club magician Jackson Blake, Ivie is forced to play a literal game of cat and mouse as she races against the clock to change her ex back before she's arrested for his murder. With every new spell comes a fresh wave of sexual desire, drawing Jack further into Ivie’s troubles. Ivie soon discovers what every witch worth her spell book knows: There’s nothing worse than a bad case of Post Magical Syndrome.


Suddenly Sorceress started off with a good laugh. Ivie is accident prone, in hysterical ways, and the opening sequence gave me high hopes. sadly, it did not live up to those expectations. Ivie is a kindergarten teacher, which we only get to see during her embarrassing opening. Before we know it her magic mistakes have her in a serious bind, with her cheating now ex-finance in animal form and technically missing- and the new fiancee convinced Ivie has killed him- she is racing to find a solution, and a way to get her dog of and ex human again. her best friend Chloe is a take charge, shopaholic, and a lot of fun. Those are the good points. Once Jack joins the crew I start getting annoyed. The sex is out of control, and I do not mean because I do not like romance or other books that have plenty of sex scenes. I know it has a part to play in the plot, but it is just so out of character for Ivie, that I felt like I just got half way through a certain other author's series (* cough* Laurell K. Hamilton *cough*) where plot flew out the window and the sex became the entirety of the books. Then, I had hope that this author would come back from that and get on with the story (which did happen with the other author) and it did, but by then I was annoyed enough that I just wanted to find out how everything wrapped up so I could move on to my next read. So, when the big action is ramping up and 'big twists' are revealed I was no longer engaged in the story. I feel like if some of the more sex starved moments had been left out, i would have been more interested in the rest.


Suddenly Sorceress had a lot of promise. I loved the characters and the ideas that started off the book. I really enjoyed the beginning, and think that I would have enjoyed the end, if only it were not for some of the middle. 

No comments: