Book Review: Six Moon Summer (Seasons of the Moon, #1) by S.M. Reine

Six Moon Summer is the first book in the Seasons of the Moon series by S.M. Reine. Unlike the previous books I have read from Reine, this is more for the young and new adult audiences, but I think everyone that enjoys her work can enjoy it. I have the rest of this series already, and if you want to read all of her series in strict chronological order this is where you should start. 

Rylie's been bitten and she is changing. And now she has three months to find a cure before becoming a werewolf forever. Rylie Gresham hates everything about summer camp: the food, the fresh air, the dumb activities, and the other girls in her cabin. The fact that she is here because her parents sent her here as they work out their divorce. But the worst part is probably being bitten by a werewolf. Being a teenager is hard enough, but now she is craving raw flesh and struggles with uncontrollable anger. If she doesn't figure out a way to stop the transformation, then at the end of summer, her life is worse than over. She'll be a monster.

Six Moon Summer is a young adult werewolf book, with a touch of romance, which manages to escape feeling like every other book that can have that statement applied to it. Rylie is dealing with a realistic emotional crisis or two, and I have to say I liked her almost immediately because of her lack of desire for 'girl friends' and that her real friends were mainly guys. I did not like that she had to do the too common mistrust of the girlfriends of said guys, only because she is just so skinny, blond, and all that jazz. However, that minor blip was my only real irritation. The connection between Seth and Rylie is strong, and the romance is done in such a way that it does not overpower the emotional issues Rylie is dealing with our the paranormal aspects of the story. I think she does take the whole introduction to the fact that the world holds real monsters and hunters out there a little too well, but she handles most of her crisis in a similar manor, so it is consistent with her character. I am willing to chalk up the couple little things that did not work perfectly for me up to the fact that this is the first book, in the first series, by the author. Since I really enjoy some of the later series’ I can see where some of the ideas and style that I have come to enjoy so much started.


Six Moon Summer is a good start to the series, and what has become a part of a much bigger world. I really enjoy Reine's writing style and plan on masking it through all of her books, eventually. A great pick for readers that read faster than their favorite authors can keep up, since there is enough of a back list to get you started and more on the way!

No comments: